Film screening by Cinespia at the Hollywood Perpetually. Photograph by Brian Champlin / We Like L.A.
Los Angeles offers no limit of things to do, some superior and some not so superior. Since time is valuable on this quick paced city we curate an inventory of things to do in Los Angeles for each weekend that’ll aid you determine how you need to spend your limited provide of attention (to not mention dollars!).
This weekend in L.A. from Friday, August 9 to Sunday, August 11 options Summer time Nights on the Tar Pits, Los Angeles Tea Pageant, Movie Night time at Rose Bowl Stadium, LA Taco & Beer Pageant, Burbank Comedy Pageant and MUCH more.
Keep in mind you possibly can all the time go to our L.A. occasions calendar page to get an up to date rundown of what’s occurring around the metropolis.
Hope you discover the rundown helpful and, as all the time, take pleasure in your weekend!
Remember that whereas we retain complete editorial control of our content material, for a few of the ticketing options offered we make the most of affiliate hyperlinks and receive a fee if you are going to buy via our links.
Friday August 9th, 2019
1. Summer time Nights on the Tar Pits returns for an evening celebration featuring DJs, cocktails, museum exploration, discussions and extra. FREE
2. The Hollywood Bowl Tchaikovsky Spectacular returns for the 50th yr of beautiful music paired with a barrage of incredible fireworks on the iconic outside amphitheater. The show takes place this Friday and Saturday. Examine for discounted tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
3. Board the famed Battleship IOWA Museum free of charge outside film screenings on the ship’s fantail beneath the night time sky. The screenings are free and open to all ages. This Friday they may display A Canine’s Method House. FREE
four. Head to Dodger Stadium to see the Boys in Blue tackle the Arizona D-backs and keep for the Friday Night time Fireworks Show. (DISCOUNTED) by way of Goldstar
5. Take pleasure in a vintage-style summer time evening on the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer time Drive-In Film Nights on the Lake Balboa Complicated. Every evening will supply food vans, an arcade, reside music and more. The collection continues with a screening of Born in East L.A. on Thursday, The Goonies on Friday and Grease on Saturday. Verify for discounted tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
6. The Music Middle’s Dance DTLA features reside music and/or DJs paired with skilled dance instructors offering newbie group dance lessons for attendees. Every night time has a unique dance theme. The collection continues with Salsa at The Music Middle. Dance DTLA continues on choose Fridays by means of August 30. FREE
7. The 626 Night time Market is back at Santa Anita Park August 9-11 that includes infinite vendors promoting crafts, merchandise, art and an enormous choice of meals from local eating places, meals vans and extra.
Eight. Cinema Botanica: Films within the Garden occurring at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden will function household pleasant films each Friday in August. Attendees will receive a area guide to crops they will spot within the films and Backyard employees will talk about the crops and panorama throughout intermission.
9. Again for the 16th yr in a row, The Unbiased Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park on the Previous Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of Pericles Wednesday via Saturday and a efficiency of Twelfth Night time on Sunday. FREE
10. The 15th Annual HollyShorts Film Pageant will display over 400 films from 30 totally different nations in the course of the pageant’s 10-day run from August Eight-17 at TCL Chinese Theatres in Hollywood.
11. Spend the season sipping wine during sundown hour at Barnsdall Art Park’s Friday Night time Wine Celebration Collection. Occurring on the garden of architectural gem the Hollyhock Home, the night encompasses a nice number of wines curated by Silverlake Wine, a stay DJ and tours of the house. The collection occurs every Friday night until September 6.
12. Caltech Astronomy invitations the general public to take a seat in on a stargazing and lecture event this Friday at 8 p.m. FREE
13. LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes in Downtown Los Angeles continues their Summer time of Salsa concert collection this Friday. Dance to the sounds of a number of the metropolis’s greatest salsa and Cuban bands one Friday evening each month by way of summer time. FREE
14. Long Seashore’s annual city extensive Dine LBC restaurant week August 3-11 will take you on a food exploration in numerous Long Seashore neighborhoods. Dozens of collaborating eating places are providing special lunch and dinner menus at a discounted worth for the occasion.
15. The Groundlings’ latest hilarious major stage show, Groundlings Treasure Hunters runs every Friday and Saturday via September 14.
16. Shakespeare By The Sea will once once more supply a ten-week program of admission-free performances with two featured productions: The Comedy of Errors and Henry V at quite a lot of venues across Los Angeles on Wednesday by way of Sunday. FREE
17. Metro Art Presents “Actions at Union Station,” a night featuring tropical Afro-Latin tunes by La Junta. The celebration will take place at the station’s South Patio. Visitors can even take pleasure in visual projections, a photo booth, a silkscreen stencil workshop and meals vans. FREE
18. Stop by The Bazaar By José Andrés on the SLS Beverly Hills for their al fresco bubbles and seafood collection Terrace Fridays: Mar x Moet. Recurring every Friday starting at 7:30 p.m. and operating via the top of September, the summertime collection features iced Moet cocktails in addition to gin cocktails, a menu that includes native seafood and signature dishes from Miami’s Bazaar Mar.
19.The Metropolis of Pasadena hosts Parks After Dark a season of free activities together with sports activities, health courses, arts & crafts and far more provided to youth, families and people each Thursday by way of Saturday from July 10 by way of August 10. FREE
20. Summer time Friday Night time Drive-In on the Roadium returns each Friday evening from June 7 to August 30 to revive your favorite films in a basic 1950’s drive-in setting. The collection continues with a screening of Black Panther.
Saturday August 10th, 2019
21. The Los Angeles Tea Pageant brings together 45+ exhibitors, 20+ courses, and over 4,000 attendees to sip on high quality tea and have interaction in discussions and shows on teas from each region. Attendees will be capable of attempt unique tea pairings and craft tea-infused cocktails and even boba. Examine for discounted tickets on select courses and events on Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
22. Gabba Gallery hosts Remix: The Artwork of Music an exhibition for both art and music lovers alike. Over 60 local and worldwide artists and musicians have created visible works utilizing music as inspiration. Their creations are within the forms of imagined album covers, portraits of rock idols, paintings inspired by songs, and rather more. Opening night time is this Saturday from 7-11 p.m. FREE
23. Beauty Con is a two-day beauty convention that includes makeup tutorials,, hearth chats, recommendations on self-care, greater than 150 prime manufacturers, 500 influencers and creators, plus loads of cool photograph alternatives. Verify for discounted tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
24. The Rose Bowl Stadium will host a movie night time on the sector for the film Keep in mind the Titans, 19 years after the original premiere at the stadium. Deliver a blanket or lawn chair and enjoy the film on the jumbotron. Meals and drinks are available for purchase earlier than the film begins. Verify for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
25. August 10 is DOGust, the universal birthday of shelter canine and Wallis Annenberg PetSpace is throwing a celebration. Convey your family and pups to the birthday bash co-hosted by Healthy Spot. The afternoon will function complimentary treats for canines and other people alongside fun activities. FREE
26. LA Taco & Beer Pageant returns with unlimited tacos and craft beer from prime restaurants round California and past. There can be stay Lucha Libre wrestling every 30 minutes along with artwork, boutique distributors, video games, meals vans, and DJ’s.
27. The first-ever Museum of Weed is 30,000 square foot area of ‘larger learning’ introduced by WeedMaps. The museum goals to offer perception and history into marijuana via interactive reveals, Instagram-friendly artwork installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday by means of Sunday. Admission begins at $35.
28. KCRW Summer time Nights will take place at two places this Saturday! One at KCRW HQ with a efficiency by Y La Bamba with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida. The opposite occasion will happen in Chinatown with KCRW DJs Raul Campos and Mathieu Schreyer. Occasions are free and open to all-ages. FREE
29. The Actors’ Gang will as soon as achieve deliver again Free Shakespeare in the Park for Families with a production of Toy Story Tempest an unique play inspired by William Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” and the characters of Toy Story. Happening at Media Park in Culver City, the 45 minute, all‐ages production will run every Saturday and Sunday this month by way of August 26. FREE
30. Nisei Week Japanese Pageant occurring August 10-11 returns to the streets of Little Tokyo, beaming with food, culture, leisure, a grand parade and more. Additionally occurring during Nisei Week is the 11th Annual Tanabata Pageant. The household friendly weekend will explore the historic neighborhood of Little Tokyo, guest can take part in workshops and games, shop distinctive vendor booths, discover the flavors of Japan and luxuriate in stay leisure. FREE
31. 2019 Natsumatsuri Family Pageant at Japanese American Nationwide Museum is a free annual summer time celebration featuring Japanese and Japanese American performances, crafts, and actions. Highlights embrace taiko drumming and bon odori dance classes, several readings and samples of saataa andaagii an Okinawan deep-fried pastry. FREE
32. A colorful, winding set up referred to as The Second Residence Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer time and its 100% free for the general public to roam and discover. The pavilion is open every day and can run by way of November 24. FREE
33. The Nationwide Park Service will host a free, bilingual event referred to as Nuestras Montañas: Feria de Comunidad y Recreación/Our Mountains on the Customer Middle at King Gillette Ranch from 2 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The group occasion will embrace bilingual hikes, reside music, arts and crafts, activity stations, a mountaineering wall, meals vans and more. FREE
34. Road Meals Cinema returns this weekend with a screening of Monsters Inc. and Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Again on Saturday and a screening of Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Sunday. All three shall be at fashionable Los Angeles places.
35. Assume Tank Gallery is teaming up with Pizzaboyzzz and Future Fantasy Delight to present Nothing Cheezy a pizza-fueled, self-aware, selfie-themed pop-up thats somewhat bit satire and is intentionally too encompassing to be captured in a picture, thus forcing viewers to stay contained in the artwork. This can be a ticketed experience that takes friends by means of the “craziest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza in fact. Open all week long.
36. The Griffith Observatory hosts a public star get together once a month from 2-9:45 p.m. the place people can get a take a look at the sun, moon, crops and different objects within the sky by means of quite a lot of telescopes. FREE
37. Rhythm Visuals presents their latest exhibit Poolside an immersive abstract portray present that includes vinyl minimize installations, 3D Projected Paintings, and interactive installations where water is involved and extra. In true poolside manner there shall be ice cream and cocktails at the opening. FREE
38. Distinctive Markets Summer time Pop-Up heads to the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica August 10 – 11 for a curated buying experience. This pop-up features one-of-a-kind presents from trendy, unbiased designers, artists, and rising brands. Except for buying the market will host free bites, drinks, DIY tasks, and different activations.
39. Cinespia is again for its 18th summer time season, at the Hollywood Eternally Cemetery for screenings of movies trendy, cult, and basic. This Sunday they may display Boyz N The Hood
40. For the seventh yr in a row, Malibu Country Mart is throwing a block get together celebrating summer time via a plethora of actions and fun for the entire family, including a petting zoo, treats, art making, stay entertaining, henna tattoos, tarot card readings, hair braiding station, and rather more.
41. The Silverlake Flea Market happening every Saturday from 12-5 p.m. all summer time lengthy includes a plethora of native, unbiased sellers that provide vintage clothing, art, uncommon vinyl, crafts, and rather more.
42. Sierra Madre Shakespeare Pageant 2019 returns for its fifth yr with the comedy “A lot Ado About Nothing.” Performances take place on select weekends in July and August beginning at 7:30 p.m FREE
43. The Inter-city Cactus & Succulent Present and Sale occurring at that Los Angeles Arboretum in Arcadia August 10-11 is dubbed as the “Comic-Con of Cactus.” Recognized as the most important cactus and succulent show & sale within the nation anticipate over 1,500 specimens and hundreds of uncommon and fascinating cactus and succulent crops on the market.
44. Eat|See|Hear returns for 2019 with a screening of Fargo at The Autry Museum. Verify for discounted tickets earlier than making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
45. The NoHo ArtWalk takes place on the second Saturday of every month. This month the event might be held at Noho Plaza from 2-8 p.m. featuring vendors, artists and stay leisure. FREE
Sunday August 11th, 2019
46. There’s a family-friendly Makers Fest occurring on the California African American Museum this Sunday. Study from group execs the art of paper-folding; be a part of a doll-making workshop; and create small aid prints. No prior artwork experience vital and all art supplies might be offered. FREE
47. Sunday Yoga + Meditation at Angel City Brewery is a donation based mostly occasion occurring every week. The advisable donation is between $15-$20 and consists of one free drink on the brewery.
48. The Burbank Comedy Pageant happening throughout five totally different venues will host 200 performers from around the globe for seven days (August 11-17) of nonstop funny enterprise.
49. Demise Cab for Cutie will take the stage of the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday with help from Automotive Seat Headrest.
50. Smorgasburg LA’s third Annual Ice Cream Alley returns greater and better than ever with superior scoop distributors, one-of-a-kind collaborations, plus its personal devoted beer backyard with extended hours till 6 p.m. Occurring every Sunday by means of September 1. Also at Smorgasburg this Sunday is Hecho in LA a mercado that includes numerous artisans and makers along aspect 50+ common pop up distributors and a family pleasant I Love Micheladas Beer Backyard.
51. The month-to-month East LA Artwork Stroll returns this month to spotlight unbiased artists, muralists, crafters and native businesses from the Eastside and its surrounding neighborhoods. This occasion is put on by the East LA Enterprise Association of the first St corridor and is designed to be household friendly.
52. Take a look at the Rose Bowl Flea Market — some of the beloved markets of its sort this Sunday. Happening on the Rose Bowl on the second Sunday of every month, the flea market includes a staggering 2500-plus distributors and 20,000 buyers.
53. The Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery will host a gap night time reception for his or her newest exhibit Offal, a gaggle show of 45 Los Angeles artists impressed by offal or the culture of consuming innards. The exhibition seeks to have fun Los Angeles’ relationship to variety and food in all of its types. FREE
54. Escape the summer time heat throughout Jazz on the Lawn, a collection of free summer time live shows at Santa Monica’s Gandara Park each Sunday in August. In addition to reside music there will probably be free dance classes, food vans and picnic video games. FREE
55. Atsuko Okatsuko hosts Let’s Go, Atsuko! A (woke) Japanese Recreation Show at Dynasty Typewriter at The Hayworth. The show will transport audiences to a Japanese Recreation Present filled with interactive games, movies, discussions, and appearances by notable funny people including Andy Richter, Nicole Byer, Sasheer Zamata and Sabrina Jalees.
Food Decide for the Week
This week’s decide by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
Calling all Sideways followers! For one night time only, Chinatown’s LA Wine will host Hitching Publish 2 a summer time barbecue pop-up on their patio. In the course of the pop-up founder, chef and winemaker Frank Ostini will serve his “HP2 to You” Santa Maria Fashion BBQ whereas David DeLuca, founder of LA Wine, will pour three of the preferred alternatives of Hitching Publish wines. Highlights embrace Hitching Submit Burgers, Triple-Fried French Fries, Grilled Corn Quesadillas and the Hometown Pinot Noir.
In the event you occur to overlook this one-day pop-up think about a brief street trip to Buellton, California and expertise the brand new Hitching Publish Wines Tasting Room menu program which incorporates the “HP2 to You” Santa Maria Type BBQ.
You’ll want to look to our Santa Barbara weekend getaway information for a number of different concepts on what to do in case you choose to make a mini trip out of it.
LA Wine is situated at 900 N Broadway ste 1070 Los Angeles, CA 90012
Need to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our e-mail program. Have an upcoming occasion you’d like recommend for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]