Gamble Home. Photograph by Brian Champlin / We Like L.A.
Each week in Los Angeles there are tons of nice things to do (even earlier than the weekend will get started) that we expect you should have in your radar. With that in mind, we put collectively an inventory each Monday via Friday morning to keep you in the find out about what’s occurring within the metropolis you’re keen on (or perhaps identical to).
This week, from Monday, October 7 to Friday, October 11, features Pie Night time at 189 by Dominique Ansel, Griffith Observatory Sunset Walk & Speak, Malibu Wine Safari Haunted Nights Tour, Pasadena ArtNight, San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In Nights, L.A. Comic Con and MUCH more.
Keep in mind you’ll be able to all the time go to our L.A. occasions calendar page to get an up to date rundown of what’s occurring around the metropolis.
Hope you find the rundown helpful and, as all the time, take pleasure in your week!
Needless to say while we retain full editorial control of our content, for a few of the ticketing choices offered we make the most of affiliate links and obtain a commission if you are going to buy by way of our hyperlinks.
Monday October 7th, 2019
1. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their trendy cinema collection Melrose Rooftop Theatre with a screenings of Beetlejuice, Interview with the Vampire and extra this week.
2 .On Monday head to Japanese inspired listening café Hi-Fi bar for a listening event earlier than the large Day of Atonement. A Yom Kippur-themed playlist might be spun and your ticket covers one drink plus pizza and salad from Brooklyn-style Lupetti Pizzeria.
3. Beyond Fest, Los Angeles’ strangest, scariest, and largest genre movie pageant returns Sep. 25 to Oct. Eight with another yr of daring programming.
Four. There’s a day by day Nice Pumpkin Hunt occurring at the South Coast Botanic Garden featuring an imaginative scavenger hunt, mild mountaineering, a pumpkin shop and access to the beautiful 87-acre grounds. Great for families. Halloween costumes are welcome.
5. Take a Historic Walk in DTLA with L.A. stairmaster Bob Inman then comply with it up with a gaggle viewing of Above the Arroyo: A Dream of the Stairs of Los Angeles enjoying at Regal L.A. LIVE.
Tuesday October 8th, 2019
6. Typically one slice is just not sufficient. Thankfully Pie Night time at 189 by Dominique Ansel will kick start pie season with a ticketed occasion the place diners will take pleasure in limitless slices of 10 totally different pies. From sweet like a strawberry rhubarb cheesecake pie to savory creations just like the slow-cooked–pork al pastor pie, you’ll take a look at pie in a completely totally different method after this meal.
7. A colourful, winding installation referred to as The Second Residence Serpentine Pavilion is now open on the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer time and its 100% free for the general public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open every day and will run by way of November 24. FREE
8. 260LA is hosting a Y-Three Adidas sample sale October 8-13. Score offers on the coveted collaboration between adidas and Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. Males’s and ladies’s athletic footwear, athletic attire, and equipment will probably be as much as 80% off retail.
9. Hiya Kitty Associates Around the World Tour celebrates Howdy Kitty’s 45-year anniversary with a multi-room, sensory-rich, sensible walk-through journey from September 20 by way of October 20. The 10,000-square-foot pop-up takes you aboard ‘Howdy Kitty Air’ to nearly go to London, Paris, New York, Honolulu, and Tokyo.
10. Free museum days: Autry Museum of the American West and Los Angeles County Museum of Artwork
Wednesday October ninth, 2019
11. The Haunted 2: Welcome Silly Mortals is an artwork exhibit inspired by places like the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Marvel at creepy animatronic works alongside paintings, sculptures, and jewellery. Occurring at The Hive Gallery in Downtown Los Angeles the exhibit will run October 6 by way of November 3 and is free to view. FREE
12. Griffith Observatory gives a Sundown Walk & Speak one evening a month led by a Park Ranger and museum information. FREE
13. Outside Voices, ROW DTLA, and Higher Booch workforce as much as host evening wellness gatherings for the month. This Wednesday head to ROW DTLA Building 1 Rooftop for a mat pilates work out led by Coreology adopted by activations by The Things We Do & beverages from OLIPOP. RSVP is obligatory. FREE
14. Each Wednesday The Continental Club in DTLA features reside jazz hosted by Matthew Yeakley plus complimentary mini cupcakes from Massive Man Bakes. No cowl!
15. Plan C a free comedy show occurring on the second Wednesday of each month at The York in Highland Park returns for a round of progressive laughs beginning at 9 p.m. FREE
Thursday October 10th, 2019
16. Malibu Wine Safaris launched a Haunted Nights Tour this month promising “otherworldly dimensions, haunted forests, psychedelic sci-fi tunnels and past.” Tickets can be found for Thursday and Friday this week.
17. The Pure Historical past Museums latest exhibit dives into the scientific inspiration behind a few of Hollywoods most terrifying creatures. “Pure Historical past of Horror” opens October 10, 2019 via April 19, 2020 and will embrace rare film props, movie footage, actions and museum specimens.
18. Knott’s Scary Farm is back with their signature haunted points of interest, mazes and hundreds of monsters able to scare the dwelling day mild out of you and your crew. Examine for discount tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
19. Pumpkin Nights function hundreds of carved pumpkins throughout several pumpkin-themed lands accompanied with special holiday activities. Occurring October 10 by way of November Three.
20. The Queen Mary’s Darkish Harbor returns with six terrifying mazes, together with the model new Rogue, by which the crew both is (or isn’t?) working to save lots of the capsized vessel you’re trapped aboard. Nightly entertainment, rides, roaming monsters, and themed lounges spherical out Darkish Harbor’s offerings. Occurring September 26 via November 2. Examine for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
21. Head to this yr’s IndieCade to take a look at unbiased video games from all over the world. Visitors will be capable of preview and play video games, take part on boards and workshops with the signature occasion “Night time Gaming”, that includes gameplay underneath the night time sky. Occurring Oct. 10-12.
22. Plática: Remembering Frida hosted by LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes welcomes the authors of the anthology, Remembering Frida for an evening of insights, humor, history and music based mostly on their revealed work about Frida Khalo. FREE
23. Style of Pasadena options food and drinks tastings from over 25 Pasadena restaurants at The Rose Bowl. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
24.Nights of the Jack, a half mile path utterly crammed with hundreds of popular culture impressed hand-carved illuminated Jack O’Lanterns returns to King Gillette Ranch in Calabasas October Three by way of November Three for a spooktacular family pleasant event.
25. Downtown Art Walk brings art fanatics and locals collectively every second Thursday of each month to participate in gallery tours, parties, meals vans, and and extra in the coronary heart of the Los Angeles Historic Core.
26. Artist Maximillian’s widespread horror-themed pop-up I Like Scary Films returns for Halloween season September 20 by means of November 17. The detailed and delightful collection of installations is a love letter from the artist to iconic horror films like The Misplaced Boys, Beetlejuice, and The Shining. Runs Wednesday by means of Sundays. Examine for low cost tickets earlier than making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
27. OUE Skyspace hosts a cheerful hour every Thursday this month from 5-9 p.m. with $6 beer, $Eight wines, $10 signature cocktails and $2 tacos. Friends may also take pleasure in Thursday Night time Soccer and music by KCRWs Anthony Valadez.
28. Each Thursday the Motherland comedy show brings recognized comics to the stage totally free at Filipino restaurant Kusina Filipina in Eagle Rock. FREE
29. Creep L.A. presents the fifth installment of HAUS OF CREEP an immersive 75-minute experience that takes friends in a weird world where reality and performance artwork blur in a really dark method. HAUS OF CREEP will run from September 13 by way of November 3 on all weekends with some weeknights obtainable.
30. There’s a free aware consciousness meditation happening on the Hammer. Members are welcome to stay for the whole 30-minute session or depart once they choose. FREE
31. Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Middle (midday to five p.m.), Lengthy Seashore Museum of Artwork (Three to eight p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to eight p.m.)
Friday October 11th, 2019
32. This annual free celebration Pasadena ArtNight attracts tens of hundreds of annual visitors to a one-night occasion the place more than twenty of Pasadena’s arts and cultural establishments supply free admission. Friends can anticipate on-site meals vans and stay performances at most of the collaborating places, together with Armory Middle for the Arts, The Gamble Home, the Pasadena Museum of History, USC Asian Pacific Museum, and extra. FREE
33. Spooky season is in full impact at San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In Nights, the place you possibly can take pleasure in a basic horror movie on the Lake Balboa Complicated, where you will be able to park your car, take heed to the film by way of your radio audio system, and absorb a double function to match the season. Ghostbusters and Friday The 13th can be screened on Friday. The following day, October 12, see Adams Family and The Exorcist. Verify for discount tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
34. Now in its ninth yr, L.A. Comic Con returns to the Los Angeles Conference Middle October 11-13 with 800+ numerous artists and vendors, selling comics, collectibles, art, toys, attire, and the whole lot in-between. Final yr’s three-day event had over 100,000 attendees.
35. Los Angeles Haunted Hayride will unify beneath one theme this yr Midnight Falls a fictional city in 1985 full of macabre characters. Take a look at the Roadkill Ranch on the outskirts of city; Trick or Deal with in a ghoulish neighborhood; drop by the local mortuary, or interact in mini-escape video games. In fact, the centerpiece remains the hayride, which can take friends straight to the hellish portal from which the city’s nightmares escape. Examine for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
36. Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden’s family-friendly night time time event Things That Go Bump in the Night time (October 11-12) invites the public to discover the grounds, get to know nocturnal animals that call the backyard their residence and capture a view of night-blooming flowers and carnivorous crops.
37. Need to rejoice Halloween early? Common Studios Halloween Horror Nights has been spooking crowds for over 25 years, the park employs the business’s greatest particular results to convey pop cultures most famous films and exhibits to life. Mazes embrace Stranger Issues, Strolling Lifeless and the new Ghostbusters expertise. Verify for discounted tickets earlier than making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
38. Alpine Village Oktoberfest returns this Friday with conventional Bavarian fun like Oom Pah Pah get together bands, German fare, and delicious cold German beers. Oktoberfest runs Fridays by way of Sundays October Four – 27.
39. Obie Award-winning writer and director Ain Gordon re-imagines the story of John E. Fryer the brave homosexual psychiatrist turn activist who made a profound impression on LGBTQ civil rights in 217 Bins of Dr. Henry Nameless introduced by Middle for the Art of Performance UCLA. The present runs Friday and Saturday.
40. Now in its third yr, Haunted Little Tokyo is filling one in every of Los Angeles’ most historic and exciting neighborhoods with tips and treats. Activities will span the whole month of October and embrace movie screenings, a pumpkin patch, a block celebration and a trick or treat night time.
41. Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre in North Hollywood presents their annual Halloween iteration of City Demise Tour of Terror. Visitors will wind by means of a brief maze earlier than getting into a darkened theater the place collection of disturbing vignettes will probably be introduced one after one other. The present runs October 4 to November 2, Fridays and Saturdays plus Halloween night time. Examine for low cost tickets before making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
42. Rise up shut and personal with sharks on the Aquarium of the Pacific throughout Shark Lagoon Nights. Visitors could have the chance to touch bamboo sharks and look at giant sharks in an after hours setting. FREE
43. Road Meals Cinema’s Halloween-themed collection at Downtown’s Million Greenback Theatre kicks off their month lengthy residency with the basic 1978 film Halloween. Friends are allowed to convey meals to the screening and backstage ghost excursions for $12 can also be out there.
44. Ford Theatres presents the premiere of Hassan Hajjaj: My Rockstars Experimental Reside. For one night time only, the reside installation infuses stay musical performances, a projected set up of the famous My Rockstars Experimental Vol. 1 collection by Hajjaj all stay on stage for the first time.
45. Überfest is again at Brouwerij West in San Pedro for epic hen dancing, a great deal of food and beer plus an Oompah meets rock n’ roll band with audience contests operating every hour. Occurring this Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
46. The Fairplex rework into a German playground for Oktoberfest on October 4-19 Fridays and Saturdays. Anticipate Bavarian music, hen dancing, bratwurst and pretzels while knocking back some genuine German beers. Examine for low cost tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
47. Head to Two Bit Circus for Whispers In The Darkish, an interactive thriller using magic, mentalism, and immersive theater. You’ll sit in on an intimate séance to communicate with ghosts to unlock secrets and techniques and clear up the crime of a centuries-old unsolved homicide.
48. Reign of Terror is likely one of the largest haunted houses you possibly can attend, and it grows greater yearly. This yr promises 115 rooms, encompassing nine totally different themes, every one related to the last. Themes embrace Contaminated, Asylum, Miner’s Revenge, Enjoyable Home, the all-new Containment and extra. There’s additionally a brand new experience referred to as the Widow’s Den where one ought to “keep away from being wrapped up.” We will solely assume meaning spiders. Particular occasions embrace a Lights-On tour ($5), for many who would like to see the sets with out all the scares, and a Lights-Out, for many who’d want to navigate the maze with a single glow stick per group.
Food Decide for the Week
Maam Sir Garlic Cheese Fries / Photograph Credit score: Christina Champlin
This week’s decide by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
Trendy Filipino hotspot Ma’am Sir simply up to date their bar menu and it’s completely indulgent. For those who’re a fry lover (and who isn’t?) the additional crispy Garlic Cheese Fries come doused in thick velvety cheddar cheese. I heartily advocate. Want more substance before you dive into the drink menu? The Fried Hen Sandwich with slaw, tomato and gravy wedged between a semi candy bun will present sustenance as you explore the intriguing cocktail record from new bar director, Ramsey Musks.
Here you will see tiki-inspired drinks designed with the autumn season in-mind. The Marie Pear made with Rhum JM, Real McCoy 5yr, St. George Spiced Pear, lime, rose and almond is a light-weight and refreshing selection. Negroni followers need to attempt the Berde, a green variation of the Negroni made with coconut washed Bimini Barrel Aged Gin, Amaro Angelino, Makrut infused Bitter Bianco, Dry Vermouth, Falernum and Funky Overproof Jamaican rum. For a cocktail that’s each complicated and beautiful the Lapu Lapu is the best way to go. The drink combines Ube Butter washed Jack Rye with Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum, Ube Gomme and house bitters of angostura rested with coconut and Ube. As a result of the Lapu Lapu includes a number of gadgets infused with Ube (a purple yam fashionable in Filipino desserts) it produces a vibrant purple glow to the elixir that appears completely applicable for the Halloween season. Cheers!
Ma’am Sir is situated at 4330 W Sundown Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90029
Need to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Join our e mail program. Have an upcoming event you’d like recommend for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]