Chinatown Central Plaza. Photograph by Brian Champlin / We Like L.A.
Los Angeles supplies no limit of issues to do, some superior and some not so awesome. Since time is valuable on this fast paced metropolis we curate an inventory of issues to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll assist you to determine the way you need to spend your limited supply of consideration (to not mention dollars!).
This weekend in L.A. from Friday, August 23 to Sunday, August 25 features DTLA Proud, L.A. Food & Wine, Roller Skating at Union Station, Chinatown Cinema, LATINAFest, and MUCH more.
Keep in mind you possibly can all the time go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s occurring around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as all the time, take pleasure in your weekend!
Take into account that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for a number of the ticketing choices offered we make the most of affiliate links and receive a fee if you are going to buy by way of our hyperlinks.
Friday August 23rd, 2019
1. DTLA PROUD Pageant 2019 returns August 23 to 25 to rejoice the tradition, historical past, and diversity of the LGBTQ+ group in Downtown Los Angeles and beyond. There might be a lineup of native stage talent, group cubicles, artwork installations, retail distributors, interactive reveals, meals vans, a pop up water park, and extra.
2. L.A. Meals & Wine 2019 kicks off on Thursday with a number of particular dinners at restaurants across the town. August 23-25 the main target shifts to the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport for three days of themed-out occasions and tastings hosted by prime chefs.
three. As a result of in style demand, the Annenberg Area for Images’s exhibit – Contact Excessive: A Visual Historical past of Hip-Hop – is extending its run via Sunday, August 25. Free and open to the general public, the exhibit consists of photographs of hip-hop icons like Notorious B.I.G. and Jay-Z, an interactive document shop, and a documentary on the historical past of this well-liked music style. FREE
4. In the temper for somewhat pastrami this weekend? Uber Eats has teamed up Katz Deli to offer special supply of make-it-at-home pastrami sandwich kits which might be deployed from Belcampo restaurant places around the Los Angeles from August 22-25. The supply consists of one sandwich package plus a Belcampo burger for a complete prices of $27. You’ll have to go online to the Uber Eats app to see delivery options in your area place your order.
5. Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive occasion. The Derry Canal Days Pageant will open to the public on August 15 on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There can be 10 totally different interactive areas over the course of a complete 40 minutes for each friends to take pleasure in. The event runs August 15 via September 8 with day by day hours from 2 to 11 p.m. Reservations are free and may be made on-line. You might be a part of the standby line outdoors the attraction as nicely. The event is open to these 18+ or 17-year-olds who’re accompanied by an adult. FREE
6. It’s a Kill Invoice Movie Night time at the Wiltern this Friday with a double function screening of Kill Invoice I and II. The evening consists of movie-inspired drinks, a DJ spinning the RZA produced soundtrack, Tacos 1986 in the outside patio and photograph ops. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
7. Summer time Nights on the Tar Pits returns for an evening social gathering that includes DJs, cocktails, museum exploration, discussions and more. FREE
8. Ensemble Shakespeare Theater returns to Descanso Gardens Friday and Saturday for an immersive theater production of A Midsummer Night time’s Dream that may have friends weaving via the Gardens to comply with the magical and journey crammed manufacturing.
9. Friday Night time Block Celebration at L.A. LIVE introduced by Absolut options 20+ pop-up outlets, reside art and road performers and select $5 food and drinks menus at collaborating L.A. LIVE eating places. FREE
10. Cinema Botanica: Films in the Garden occurring at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Backyard will function household friendly films every Friday in August. Attendees will obtain a subject information to crops they will spot within the films and Backyard employees will talk about the crops and panorama during intermission.
11. Asian AF Los Angeles comedy show on the Upright Residents Brigade Sundown is an evening of stand-up, sketch, improv, storytelling, and more by the perfect comedic Asian American expertise in our city.
12. OUE SkySpace LA hosts a summer time night time celebration two nights in a row this weekend with visitor DJs beginning at 9 p.m. with the town lights sparkling almost 1000 ft above DTLA. The first drink is on the house too.
13. Again for the 16th yr in a row, The Unbiased Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park on the Previous Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of either Pericles or Twelfth Night time Wednesday by way of Sunday. FREE
14. Spend the season sipping wine throughout sundown hour at Barnsdall Artwork Park’s Friday Night time Wine Get together Collection. Occurring on the garden of architectural gem the Hollyhock Home, the night includes a high-quality choice of wines curated by Silverlake Wine, a reside DJ and tours of the home. The collection occurs each Friday night until September 6.
15. Pink Martini will take the stage of the Hollywood Bowl this Friday-Sunday with orchestra help.
16. 4th Fridays on 4th Road prompts the “Retro Street” business district in Long Seashore on the fourth Friday of each month from 6 to 10 p.m. via extended hours, eating specials, discounted merchandise, pop up outlets, art exhibits, stay music, double decker bus rides and more.
17. Summer time Friday Night time Drive-In on the Roadium returns every Friday night from June 7 to August 30 to revive your favorite movies in a basic 1950’s drive-in setting. The collection continues with a screening of Coco.
18. Ensemble Shakespeare Theater returns to Descanso Gardens Friday and Saturday for an immersive theater manufacturing of A Midsummer Night time’s Dream that may have friends weaving by means of the Gardens to comply with the magical and journey crammed production.
19. The Groundlings’ newest hilarious principal stage present, Groundlings Treasure Hunters runs every Friday and Saturday via September 14.
20. The Division of Seashores and Harbors presents Seashore Film Nights at Dockweiler Youth Middle each Friday. This week they’ll display Ralph Breaks the Web. FREE
Saturday August 24th, 2019
21. Union Station is reworking the historic ticket course right into a Retro Curler Rink from August 24-25. The 3200 sq. foot pop-up rink shall be soundtracked by a DJ spinning classics from the 70s, 80s and right now. As an added bonus, the famend LA Roller Women might be available giving scorching tips to skaters of all ranges and displaying off their strikes, presumably.
22. Chinatown Cinema will probably be debuting their first movie screening on August 24 featuring Kung Fu Hustle. The collection aims to spotlight variety and inclusivity in films. There might be a food truck, bubble tea, free photograph cubicles, big video games and a brief film before the primary function begins.
23. Pageant Chapin Celebrating Guatemalan Culture highlights the range and great thing about Guatemalan culture August 24 and 25 with culinary demonstrations, an artisan market, stay traditional marimba music, folklore and more at the La Fayette Recreation Middle. FREE
24. Hermosa Seashore Summer time Collection, introduced by KROQ is a two-weekend lengthy free group occasion August 17-18 and 24-25 each offering a lineup of music, comedy, films on the seashore, wellness actions and family-friendly experiences. FREE
25. 2019 Style of Brews Long Seashore options dozens of microbrews and exhausting ciders, together with snack samples from food vans and reside entertainment. This yr, the oceanfront occasion is selling a restricted number of tickets, which means shorter strains.
26. The Leimert Park Village Ebook Truthful comes to Baldwin Hills Crenshaw on August 24 for an all-day literary extravaganza.
27. San Cha performs at the Getty Middle Courtyard as a part of the museum’s Off the 405 summer time live performance collection. FREE
28. Beverly Hills third annual BOLD Summer time closes out their annual collection on South Beverly Drive with “Next Night time – The BOLD Finale.” Take pleasure in stay entertainment, dancing, food, and extra. FREE
29. Brick Fest Stay, the #1 LEGO event in the U.S., returns to the Pasadena Conference Middle for two days of insane builds, hands-on actions, and sets to buy.
30. ALL THAT 90’s Artwork Exhibition involves Phylm Studios (free RVSP till the day of the occasion, in response to the Eventbrite itemizing).
31. Summer time Movie Collection at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes screens American Me (1992). FREE
32. The Bob Baker Marionette Theater will revive their unique 1963 show Bob Bakers Sketchbook Revue at their new house, the historic York Theater in Highland Park. The show runs Saturday and Sunday.
33. Eat|See|Hear returns for 2019 with a screening of Do The Proper Thing at Santa Monica Excessive Faculty Amphitheatre. Examine for discounted tickets earlier than making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
34. The Actors’ Gang will once achieve deliver again Free Shakespeare within the Park for Families with a production of Toy Story Tempest an unique play inspired by William Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” and the characters of Toy Story. Happening at Media Park in Culver Metropolis, the 45 minute, all‐ages production will run each Saturday and Sunday this month by way of August 26. FREE
35. Los Angeles Journal’s FIT LA is a morning wellness occasion featuring a exercise led by movie star coach Mary Miller, wholesome bites, magnificence and vitamin samples, mini spa remedies and extra at The Victorian in Santa Monica.
36. Road Meals Cinema returns this weekend with a screening of Beauty and the Greatest at Brand Library Park in Glendale. (DISCOUNTED) by way of Goldstar
37. This Sunday Westside mother and father can convey their little ones to the Mar Vista Youngsters & Craftz Pageant. The free back-to-school occasion encompasses a story circle, arts and crafts, a poetry nook, face portray, a group mural with Cellular Graffiti Yard, and swag giveaways from LAPL. FREE
Sunday August 25th, 2019
38. LATINAFest returns to La Plaza de Cultura y Artes to deliver hundreds of girls together for a one-day occasion featuring 100 Latina entrepreneurial distributors, discussion and panels with thought leaders, a cocktail garden, workshops, and extra.
39. Poolside is a new immersive summary painting show at Rhythm Visuals gallery in Downtown L.A. The exhibition options multiple rooms and visual experiences, including one where friends throw water balloons at a white wall to disclose a hidden painting. The exhibit is open Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays from midday to four p.m. by means of September 5. FREE
40. LA’s Received Expertise (a youth-focused showcase) involves the Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles live performance collection. FREE
41. The 4th Annual BBQ Day at Smorgasburg LA is coming this Sunday they usually’re brining the perfect BBQ from Texas-style brisket to Memphis fashion rib sandwiches and even vegan BBQ. Settle down at Ice Cream Alley, a particular area dedicated to superior scoop distributors, one-of-a-kind collaborations, plus its personal dedicated beer garden with prolonged hours till 6 p.m.
42. The 17th annual Garden Jazz Pageant comes to Rowley Memorial Park, that includes two levels of music and headlined by the Stanley Clarke Band.
43. Manhattan Seashore Live shows within the Park presents Scorching August Night time at Polliwog Park. FREE
44. Free museum day: Craft and People Art Museum (pay what you’ll be able to) and Museum of Latin American Art
Meals Decide for the Week
This week’s decide by Brian Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
Legit bagels are a uncommon discover in Los Angeles. Those who have eaten the east coast fare and then needed to subsist on our west coast variations know there really is not any comparison. Is it the alkaline within the water? The boil earlier than bake course of? A household recipe so sacred those that know it might die to guard it? No matter it is, more often than not, it escapes us here in L.A. However Maury’s Bagels has the goods. Maury’s is the child of Jason Maury Kaplan, who first provided bagels to the plenty by way of a pop-up on the Hollywood Farmer’s Market before his brick and mortar opened this past March on the southern tip of of Silver Lake, simply north of the 101 on Bellevue Ave. Kaplan’s bagels are, in a word, great. A barely golden crust provides option to a delicate and chewy interior that’s mellow and never overly candy. The bagels taste fairly good on their very own so I wish to maintain it easy: plain bagel, cream cheese, ice vanilla latte. Then once more, I’m in all probability one of the boring individuals you’ll meet. Whatever you select I doubt you’ll go mistaken. Simply take note there isn’t a ton of seating and it’s all on the patio, so in case you select to take your bagels to-go and grab espresso elsewhere I wouldn’t blame you. That is Silver Lake, in any case.
Maury’s Bagels is situated at 2829 Bellevue Ave., Los Angeles 90026.
Need to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox each week? Join our e-mail program. Have an upcoming event you’d like recommend for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]